Sunday, January 25, 2009

Engagements. Weddings. Baby Showers. Trends.


When I was pregnant it seemed like EVERYONE was pregnant or trying. Now that I'm not pregnant.... everyone that wasn't pregnant when I was is. It's a funny little game. I love it.

I suppose now that I have started a family I tend to notice the trend of others starting theirs whether it's with a baby, a ring, or just a formal relationship. I'm tending a baby shower today and for the first time since I've had Sophia (dare I say it-- I vowed I never would) I wish we could do it all over again. I don't like the pregnancy part, emotions, getting huge, watching this alien poke it's hands, feet and butt out of your ever so stretched belly, and of course labor. But I miss the end result. Even though we had the neonatal nurse whisk Sophia away as soon as she was born just the first cry, the first sight of her, the first unsure smile at Travis that we've officially just pulled off the best thing the world has to offer... I don't know. I miss it. There's a lot that comes with a family, but I wouldn't change anything.

I've had PLENTY of people tell me we are going to Hell or we screwed up because we had Sophia out of wedlock, this that and the other. All I have said to them (this is much more kind) is bug off!! The way I see it is if you plan for a baby, you'll never have one. You'll never be financially ready for a child- that's not something you can plan for. And No. Sophia was not an accident both of us had a mutual decision to make her. Someday we will get married (I hope hope hope so anyway). Then we will have the same last names, we'll be an "official" family in their eyes. I feel pretty ballsy saying this but I know the people that have actually said that to me have said it based on their religion-- and that's totally fine but how do you know I believe what you do? You have to watch what you say and to whom you say it.

In the end, I just want to congratulate everyone that just got a ring, is having a baby, or anyone that's just found a special someone. It's a wonderful feeling so enjoy it to it's fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment